Celebrate International Women’s Day with SA2020 Partners
It’s International Women’s Day, a day to celebrate the social, economic, cultural, and political achievement of women. Seems only fitting, then, that yesterday, the SA2020 Team visited one of our partners, Dress for Success San Antonio.
There, we learned about their programming, which includes career counseling and training, but also includes an opportunity for a woman who is actively looking for a job to get herself a new suit. At Dress for Success San Antonio, they want to empower women to achieve independence by providing a network of support. This, of course, has far-reaching outcomes for SA2020: economic development, family well-being, and civic engagement. (One of our favorite things we learned yesterday was that Dress for Success clients participated as a group during the original SA2020 visioning process.) More importantly, however, it provides opportunity for women to be economically empowered and create change around them.
Today, as we celebrate International Women’s Day, we encourage you to connect with SA2020 Partners that are making the world a better place for women and girls. Check out any of the following organizations:
- Girls, Inc of San Antonio: provides quality out-of-school time programs to empower girls
- Alpha Home: serves as a bridge of hope for women seeking freedom from substance abuse by offering spirituality, counseling, prevention resources and interactive education in a safe, compassionate home environment
- Dress for Success San Antonio: helps San Antonio residents find, apply for, and keep jobs
- Camp to Success: empowers disadvantaged young ladies to reach their maximum potential through weeklong and weekend camp adventures augmented with a year-round interactions and a full family weekend experience
- Martinez Street Women’s Center: transforms communities through women and girls by providing access to vital health services, quality education, and advocacy
- Planned Parenthood South Texas: provides and protects the health care and information people need to plan their families and their futures
- Big Brothers Big Sisters of South Texas: provides children facing adversity with strong and enduring, professionally supported one-to-one mentoring relationships that change their lives for the better, forever
- Girls on the Run of Bexar County: inspires girls to be joyful, healthy, and confident using a fun, experience-based curriculum which creatively integrates running
- League of Women Voters: encourages informed and active participation in government, works to increase understanding of major public policy issues, and influences public policy through education and advocacy
- Healthy Futures of Texas: reduce teen and unplanned pregnancy in San Antonio and Texas in order to support the development of strong families and positively impact the future of our community
- YWCA of San Antonio: develops personal empowerment and self-sufficiency in women and their families
We hope you’ll help us celebrate International Women’s Day by supporting one of these great organizations, whether it’s making a gift to them today or making a plan to volunteer with them in the near future. And, if you’re looking for another small way to show your support, you can make a gift as small as $5 to support SA2020’s “20k from 20k followers” campaign right here. This will help us support and connect with even more organizations committed to women, and men, and children in San Antonio.