The Economic Development Foundation
The mission of the San Antonio Economic Development Foundation (SAEDF) is to lead the development and diversification of the San Antonio regional economy through the recruitment and expansion of quality employers and job-producing investments. SAEDF is a private, nonprofit organization that capitalizes on San Antonio’s comparative advantages to assist businesses and industries locate and expand into the San Antonio market. SAEDF is committed to job growth and workforce development locally.
SAEDF aims to position San Antonio in national and international business communities as a premiere business location for targeted industries such as bioscience/healthcare, aerospace, financial services, and manufacturing and distribution. Targeted industries on the horizon include clean energy and information technology. SAEDF draws on San Antonio’s strategic location, diverse and dynamic mix of employers, low taxes, large and talented workforce, reliable utilities, low cost of living, and unique culture to attract employers to San Antonio.
SAEDF provides information that helps businesses make decisions concerning the expansion or relocation of their facilities to San Antonio. SAEDF’s services include:
- Analyzing the labor market
- Arranging community briefings and custom city tours
- Introducing clients to community partners
- Identifying and packaging all local and state incentives applicable to a particular business
- Organizing any specialized market research
- Following through with the development process
Since 1975, SAEDF has helped 358 companies locate to San Antonio, which collectively employ over 94,000 San Antonians. In 2012, EDF located 25 companies that created 3,695 jobs, including Maruchan (600 jobs), VMC/Volt (600 jobs), Southwest Airlines (322 jobs), and Centene (289 jobs). SAEDF’s other key projects include:
- 2009: Medtronic (1384 jobs) and Nationwide (835 jobs)
- 2010: Kohl’s (1065 jobs), Allstate (598 jobs), Becton, Dickinson, and Company (296 jobs), EOG Resources (250 jobs), and Petco (600 jobs)
- 2011: Halliburton (1500 jobs), Baker-Hughes (500 jobs), Red Ventures (300 jobs), and J. Crew (270 jobs)
SAEDF serves as the lead partner for the “economic competitiveness” vision of SA2020. A strong economic base and a skilled workforce create the resources required for San Antonio to achieve its potential as a world-class city. SAEDF works alongside lead partners in other SA2020 vision areas to catalyze change through collective impact.