Summer Camp is in Session
School’s out! We can still remember the euphoria of the first day of summer vacation… followed by the inevitable boredom that sunk in a week or two later. Fortunately, San Antonio nonprofits are here to make sure our kids’ summers are fun, educational, and active. We’ve put together a list of camps hosted by our Nonprofit Partners, and now we’re considering crashing a few ourselves. From movie making to dinosaur tracking, there’s a camp for every young person this summer!
• Camp CAMP is a series of 6-day sessions for children and adults, aged 5 to 50 years, with a variety of special needs, and their siblings. Camp CAMP is located on 55 acres on the Guadalupe River and modifies traditional summer camp activities to include everyone, regardless of the severity of the camper’s physical or developmental needs. Find out more here.
• Camp Classic is the Classic Theatre‘s theatre-arts based summer camp for kids aged 5-13, of all skill levels. At Camp Classic, campers will travel back in time to the days of adventure & magic, heroes & heroines, gods & rulers, and giants & ogres. Find out more here.
• The DoSeum hosts a variety of camps where students learn to innovate, create, and solve problems. Some camps currently have a waitlist, but there are lots of week-long camps open for kids aged 3-4, 5-7, and 8-11. See them all here.
• Hemisfair hosts Bridge Projects Summer Camp for the second year. Open to 9-14 year-olds in June, the two week-long camps will explore photography + video and art + sculpture. (A portion of the proceeds also benefit Hemisfair!) See more here.
• At the Magik Theatre‘s Showbiz Camp, campers learn to work together to create one-of-a-kind performances. The Magik hosts sessions from June 10th to August 23rd, with opportunities for ages 3.5 to 11. Find out more here.
• The Martinez Street Women’s Center Girl Zone hosts their Dare to be Powerful Summer Camp, where girls will build strong self-esteem, deep respect for others, and life-long friendships! The day camp is free to SAISD students. Camp for elementary school girls is still open (July 8th-August 2nd); each camper and her guardian must attend orientation on July 6th. Find out more and register here.
• SAY Sí‘s week-long pARTicipate Summer Sessions are happening this August. Session attendees work hand-in-hand with SAY Sí’s alumni teaching artists to craft their own learning path. Through creative storytelling and artmaking, students are engaged while making valuable connections with other young artists. See opportunities for 3rd-8th graders here.
• Woodlawn Theatre‘s summer camps offer kids the opportunity to explore their creative talents, collaborate with fellow campers, and develop a passion for the performing arts. See opportunities for ages 5-18 here.
• The YMCA of Greater San Antonio has it all, from day camp to outdoor camp to overnight resident camp. Each program invites youth to be inspired through creative play, field trips, sports, and more. Click here to see all of the Y’s summer opportunities.